Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended to March 2017 Named as Jio Happy New Year Offer

Reliance Jio Chairman Mukesh Ambani has announced the introduction of the ‘Jio Happy New Year’ offer, which will extend free voice calling, video, data and the full bouquet of Jio applications absolutely free for users until March 31, 2017.  Any customer that purchases a Jio SIM after December 4 will be enrolled with the ‘Jio Happy New Year’ offer, which will be valid till March 31. The existing 52 million customers on the ‘Jio Welcome Offer’ will move on to the Happy New offer automatically on January 1.

While the Jio Welcome Offer provides unlimited data, there is an FUP limit of 4GB per day – following which browsing speeds are reduced to 128Kbps. To fight congestion, Jio customers on the “Happy New Year” offer will have an FUP of 1GB per day.  This is one-fourth of the FUP that users on the Welcome Offer are getting. So, if you buy a Jio SIM before December 4, you will be able to enjoy close to 30 days of unlimited data with the 4GB per day FUP.

Ambani has also announced that Jio now fully supports Mobile Number Portability (MNP), meaning that you can switch over to the Jio network without having to change your mobile number.

Ambani also talked about how 80 per cent users of Jio use an average of 1GB of data each day, but the remaining 20 per cent contribute to bandwidth congestion owing to their disproportionately high usage.